Monday, June 18, 2012

Tool #2

I'm getting the hang of blogging.  :)
I am working on a book for my kids with the things that we have done over the summer, and I was told that if I did a blog, and included photos, I could eventually print it into a book with a different program. I am excited about that.  I do not necessarily want people commenting on the blog, I would prefer to use this particular thing as more of a diary of sorts.
My "other blog" is www.whatsforsummer.blogspot.com  .  So you can see, I am actually "practicing!"
Building Community in the Online Environment is Tool #2 in this journey to achieve all 11.  So here is my attempt at Tool #2.
It says 
"For your Tool #2 Post in YOUR blog:
  1. Visit at least 5 blogs - choose a few from the list below and a few from your campus wiki (on the right sidebar) and comment to one of the posts. To comment on a blog post, typically search at the bottom of the post for the comments link. Then, you will type your comment using your Google Apps account identity. Or, Visit 3 blogs and expand your PLN differently by signing up for a Diigo account or Google Reader and following the bookmarks/websites of 2 other Diigo members or websites.
http://artteachershateglitter.blogspot.com/ is a hilarious account of an art teacher who is pushed around to various schools and doesn't teach art lessons, but rather "art life lessons". The quote that brought me to her blog was ""I always loved art teachers because they were so bizarre. They were like the homeless people of the faculty -- all disheveled, wearing smocks, covered in paint, always digging through the garbage, looking for bottles and egg cartons and things." -Ted Alexandro"

2.  After completing the above, share you thoughts about building and participating in an online community and participating in a PLN. What points stood out to you from the commenting advice? Were you able to apply any of the advice in your comments? How did you feel about sharing your thoughts publicly? Was it different than when you're sharing your successes/challenges with your teammate?
Sharing my thoughts publically on a blog bothers me because I feel like I will lose the blog or not go back to it to know if someone has responded. I am all for discussion and talking with those, even those you don't know, about social and educational content online. It's different from sharing with my teammates because there is more of a "discussion" when it's one on one and you can judge what someone is saying because you know them, rather than assuming what they are saying or inflection in their voice.
  1. Share the url or name of a blog or social network that you plan to visit in the future. What does that site have to offer?"
I plan to attempt to visit this blog more often. http://theteachingpalette.com/category/blog/ it has many various art tips, ideas, classroom management ideas, etc.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the blog to your boys. This is what blogging is all about. Audience is important when blogging. What you do for your students is different than one for your colleagues. Know your readers.
    You are very ambitious with having three blogs going at once.

    ReplyDelete